Автор Тема: Questions to snooker Coach from Sheffield, Alan Trigg  (Прочитано 109849 раз)

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #30 : 26 Январь, 2009, 15:00 »
All this betting with beer, i am really looking forward to coming to Minsk :beer:

Оффлайн Виталий Велент

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #31 : 27 Январь, 2009, 18:18 »
Hi, Alan! I hope everything's going well in Turkey. I visited Istanbul exactly a year ago for three days and enjoyed it immensely. Not sure if three weeks in the same place would have the same effect.  :)To the point.

As I was practicing the matchbox exercise as per your instructions, a couple of questions popped in my mind. You say "put the tip at the hole and pause for approximately 2 seconds, take the cue backward and forward through the hole in a single movement then stop when your back arm has hit your chest". With this technique, a player forms a habit to make a pause before the final backswing, not at the end of it. But the thing is with most of the players I know from the local snooker community (including myself) and watching TV, the pause at the END of the final backswing is more pronounced/preferred. What I am trying to be clear about is whether or not I should follow your how-to instructions regarding the matchbox exercise, when I know for a fact that I tend to pause at the end of my final backswing, not before it. If this question is irrelevant, just ignore it. Another thing: is it possible to practice shots of varying strength/pace with the matchbox. A question arising out of this is how you control the strength of the shot: by placing the bridge hand closer to or farther away from the cueball or by moving the cue arm from the vertical position up and down the cue or by adjusting the length of the backswing or maybe the combination of all?

In the second part of my interrogation, I would like to revisit the notion of the snap shot and kindly ask you to elaborate on that. I am a bit confused about when it should be applied. You said the snap shot is used to eliminate cueing faults. I presume most of the main-tour players have perfect cueing, but it does not stop them from using it, does it?

That's all I have for now. Anticipating your prompt replies. Vitaly 

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #32 : 27 Январь, 2009, 19:43 »
Good evening Vitaly, now we are at the more serious side of snooker,your first point about back arm pause, i will tell you a story that happened over 25 years ago, there was a player called johnathan bagley who reined from leeds, my home city, he was a very naturally gifted player (in my opinion as good or better than ronnie now) after achieving fame as a junior his father decided to send him to the then top coach in the world, Frank Callan, in his day he was a fantastic coach, but he had a secret that he told nobody, he taught the back swing pause to everybody he coached, we now understand through knowledge of dynamic physiology that not everybody can pause on their backswing, in fact to these people when they are taught this it creates what is called cue-itis, this is where the player eventually cannot release the cue, getting back to Frank, by teaching this to Johnathan he destroyed his cueaction and therefore his game, after we found out that he had actually done this to a number of players and never said anything. top coaches teach everyone to pause on the front swing and not on the backswing, then after a number of months doing this we can see if they are capable of the backswing pause, by doing this there is no risk of destroying anyone.
The next point, practising the matchbox only teaches a specific movement backward and forward, every shot you play, hard, soft, top spin or deep screw your stance and cueaction remains exactly the same, there are only two points that differ, firstly the contact point on the cue ball, secondly the length of backswing, the length of backswing determines the strength of the shot, long for power, short for less power, so the worst thing you could ever do is change the distance between the tips of your fingers and the cueball (there are occasions that you have to change the distance ie. when the cueball is on the cushion) when you dont need to.
The next point is the snap shot, there are two cue actions, the first is the snap shot the second is the snub shot, i think that you are getting the two mixed up, the snap shot is something that coaches teach to begginners to quickly improve their cueing, the snub shot is a top class professional action that all players have to learn before moving on to the more advanced drop cue action, some professionals do not go on to the drop action and remain with the snub action, if you look carefully at the top 16 players 14 use the drop and 2 use the snub, can anyone tell me who are the two players, very best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн Сергей

• Администратор
    • Просмотр профиля
    • SNOOKER.BY
« Ответ #33 : 27 Январь, 2009, 20:09 »
Hello Alan,
Big thank you for your answers  :pray: it's wonderful  :super:

To everyone: I can give prompt, one of these two players is ... R...  ;)

But, could you remind me more particular different between   snub shot and snap shot, I missed something  :confused:

And once more, when are going to come back home?

With best wishes, Sergey
Кто хочет - ищет возможности, кто не хочет - ищет причины.

Оффлайн Виталий Велент

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #34 : 28 Январь, 2009, 18:42 »
if you look carefully at the top 16 players 14 use the drop and 2 use the snub, can anyone tell me who are the two players
I am not sure but to me Mark Allen stands out from the pack with his very powerful wrist action. My second guess would have been Marco Fu, but given the hint by Sergey, it must be Ryan Day.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #35 : 29 Январь, 2009, 15:06 »
Hello Sergey, i will email the answer to that question, it is one for the coaches :znaika:

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #36 : 29 Январь, 2009, 15:10 »
Good try, Mark Allen, Marco Fu and Ryan Day all use the drop cue action, keep trying.

I will give you a clue, one of them was in Moscow recently.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #37 : 29 Январь, 2009, 15:13 »
This is a question only for fun, it is aimed at mathamaticians and referees:

what is the lowest possible break you can make when clearing the entire table at one visit ( one break ), if you can answer this i will be very impressed, good luck.

Оффлайн Ares-IG

• Судья
  • брейк-29
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #38 : 29 Январь, 2009, 15:29 »
what is the lowest possible break you can make when clearing the entire table at one visit ( one break ), if you can answer this i will be very impressed, good luck
Speaking from the mathematical point of view - it's 44.

The player must pot all 15 reds with one shot (15 points), then score yellow (2 points), then clear the colours (27 points). The sum is 44.

Although to pot 15 reds with one shot, one must have sheer absurd luck or divine powers.  :grin:
« Последнее редактирование: 29 Январь, 2009, 16:07 от Ares-IG »

Оффлайн Виталий Велент

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #39 : 29 Январь, 2009, 16:10 »
Although to pot 15 reds with one shot, one must have sheer absurd luck or divine powers.  :grin:
If Benny Hill did it from the break-off in one of his sketches, why can't we? :lol:
Good try, Mark Allen, Marco Fu and Ryan Day all use the drop cue action, keep trying.
I guess it doesn't pay to guess when one has no clue about what a snub shot is.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #40 : 29 Январь, 2009, 20:48 »
Very good answer, most people would not have got that low, but this is a trick question, the answer is 37, as you say to pot all 15 reds one shot (the world record is 9 by the way) then pot yellow as the colour, pot yellow green brown blue pink and then as you pot the black you go inoff, total clearance with a break of 37.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #41 : 29 Январь, 2009, 21:02 »
To learn the snub shot as an amateur has very little value, as an amateur you play on all kinds of snooker tables, some good some very bad, some quick, some very slow, some receptive and some with no responce, because of this your cue action has to be longer than a professionals. A professional plays on a table that has very little difference in speed and reaction, because of this top coaches teach them the snub cue action as a forerunner to the drop cue action. The snub action is simply more compact with a better acceleration, because of the quicker cloth speed they can have a shorter backswing and a shorter follow through than an amateur and get a much better reaction, the longer the backswing is, the more chance that the action can go astray, same with the follow through.

In a nutshell the snub cue action is shorter backswing and a shorter follow through to make the cue action much more acurate, with a smoother and quicker acceleration.

Because of the cloths that you are practising on this cannot be taught properly, when you qualify to play on the international arena, this must be taught.

Very best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #42 : 06 Февраль, 2009, 00:51 »
I am in Turkey until next wednesday, after this my schedule becomes much more busy, so if anyone has any questions at all, i will be glad to answer them before wednesday, very best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн Сергей

• Администратор
    • Просмотр профиля
    • SNOOKER.BY
« Ответ #43 : 06 Февраль, 2009, 00:55 »
Good night  :wave:

I remember your coach schedule  ;) , why are you not sleeping so late at night ?  ;)
Кто хочет - ищет возможности, кто не хочет - ищет причины.

Оффлайн Koulmann

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #44 : 06 Февраль, 2009, 10:38 »
 Good day, Alan!
 We are enjoying plenty of snow now like England couple of days before and it takes a little bit longer to get to our favourite snooker club. . So, it`s the right time to talk about snooker in comfortable seats. :)
 Easy questions today.
 1) I try to play snooker twice a week. That`s all what i can get from my schedule. Practicing the "matchbox" exercise is not my daily routine as well, but 15 minutes twice a week give four out of seven days of snooker devotion. I realize its not enough to make a serious progress, but step by step i`m getting better (i hope so). :)
  But i`m facing  problem which, i think, is quite usual for amateurs. Sometimes a have to stay for a while without snooker table and a cue. If it happens longer than a week, i feel that i loose snooker skills and it takes some time to renew them. So, are there any exercises a can practise without table and cue for exmp to keep the physical memory of cueaction? Even if i have to use a mop instead of cue - that will be fine. :)
 2) Do you watch any other sports apart from billiard? What team do (if you do) you support in English football league? May be "Leeds United" as your home team? i heard that fans in England are intend to support their home teams even if there are palying in low divisions.
 Lots of sun and good stay in Turkey!
 Best wishes, Alex. 

« Последнее редактирование: 06 Февраль, 2009, 10:44 от Koulmann »