Автор Тема: Questions to snooker Coach from Sheffield, Alan Trigg  (Прочитано 93197 раз)

Оффлайн Сергей

• Администратор
    • Просмотр профиля
    • SNOOKER.BY
« : 07 Январь, 2009, 12:16 »
In this topic you can ask Alan about any kind of game aspects: stance, shot, strategy, psychology and other
 :thanks:
Go on ...
« Последнее редактирование: 07 Январь, 2009, 19:13 от Сергей »
Кто хочет - ищет возможности, кто не хочет - ищет причины.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #1 : 07 Январь, 2009, 13:51 »
My name is Alan Trigg, i am an ex professional snooker player, i now work full time for World Snooker as one of there top coaches, i coach some of the players that you watch on televisions, i will be in this forum at least once a week and will try and answer as many questions as possible, i am looking forward to them, best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн holmez

• Silently watching
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #2 : 07 Январь, 2009, 14:05 »
Hello, Alan

Could you say anything about Nic Barrow and his coaching courses ?

Thank you in advance.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #3 : 07 Январь, 2009, 14:14 »
Nick Barrow is a very good coach and is also one of my collegues working for world snooker, his snooker gym is the product of ten years hard work.

Оффлайн holmez

• Silently watching
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #4 : 07 Январь, 2009, 18:09 »
Thank you very much.

Now Im much more seriously thinking to order his DVD set.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #5 : 07 Январь, 2009, 20:10 »
This is very good that you want to learn snooker at a high standard, but may i offer you a cheaper way of learning the same things.
 Nick is a grade 'C' professional snooker coach, i teach coaches all over the world to the same standard, the owner of this website, Sergey, i have been training for the last 2 years to be a professional coach, he has the same knowledge now as Nick does, so rather than spending a lot of money on the dvd's please go see Sergey and he will be able to teach you to the same standard.

By the way i am a grade'A' snooker coach, this means i not only train professionals but i also train there coaches as well.

I hope that this will be of some use to you, best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн holmez

• Silently watching
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #6 : 07 Январь, 2009, 20:19 »
Thank you very much.

Im learning snooker by myself more than 2 years and have some good results. Of course I cant do "century", but I like results I have anyway.

And.... I know you will visit Minsk this spring and I will glad to take part this coaching course.

And... cost of this DVD set is not so high, but information from this DVD set is much more important than money for this :)

Оффлайн Hacker 147

• Snooker is my philosophy
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #7 : 07 Январь, 2009, 21:38 »
I am a beginner in this sport and really would like to become something of a player.
You started playing snooker at the age of six and at 13 got the first taste of victory. All of the pros flew into the snooker world as youngsters and maybe that's why they have succeeded.
I am interested of my chances to meet some results if I am 18 and if persistent training will lead to success.
Maybe you can also say a few words about basic psychological methods and techniques while practising and playing important matches. I would be very pleased.
« Последнее редактирование: 08 Январь, 2009, 23:50 от Hacker 147 »
And that's the way the cookie crumbles.  :smoke:

Оффлайн Yurets

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #8 : 07 Январь, 2009, 22:14 »
Hello, Alan!

1) Be kind, named Top-5 most popular snooker players' (beginners) mistakes.
2) Do you remember your first "century"?
3) What you are proud of your students more than others?

Thank in advance.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #9 : 08 Январь, 2009, 12:41 »
For hacker 147, Mark William didn't start playing snooker until he was 17 years old, but he is an exception to the rule, to be a professional you should not start later than 14 years old, many friend of mine that i play for England with didn't start playing snooker until late in there life, it is possible with good coaching and practise that you can acheive a very high standard.
As for the other question about basic psychology, when starting to play snooker this subject should not be touched upon, you will have enough on your mind without thinking about this subject, simply enjoy snooker as a game when you are practising treat the practise as a match and when you are playing a tournament treat this as practise, this is as much psychology as you need, best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #10 : 08 Январь, 2009, 12:56 »
There are five golden rules at snooker and these are the mistakes mostly made by beginners:
1)gripping the cue too tight, or altering the tension of the grip through the shot
2)turning the cue as they hit the cue ball, this is called twisting
3)body or head movement, this should be nil
4)not walking in behind the line of shot
5)following through too much or not enough
obviously there are many more but these are the most common.

Obviously everybody remembers there first century, funny enough mine was made during a competition at Willie Thornes snooker centre, of all the centurys i have made it was probably the worst as i was potting my way out of trouble nearly every shot, but the most memorable.

I am very proud of all my players, but 2 stick in my mind, the first is Paul Hunter, i was involved in training him from a very early age, i am still friends with his family, the second is an old gentleman from England, he retired as a commercial pilot and needed a hobby to fill a void in his life, he came to me at the tender age of 78, having never played before, i trained him for 3 years and he is making centuries now at the age of 81, that is dedication.
best wishes Alan.

Оффлайн Smily

• Судья
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #11 : 08 Январь, 2009, 22:04 »
Hi, Alan! Thank you for answering on our questions. Do you have any advices for our judges?

Оффлайн Alan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #12 : 09 Январь, 2009, 16:31 »
When you say judges, do you mean referees.

On the subject of referees, simply without these dedicated people there would not be a game called snooker, i admire these people, they work very long hours for no or little reward, usually only receiving abuse from the players. When you acheive the standard of play that i have acheived you will repect these people, and after each and every match you should thank them :thanks:

Оффлайн Smily

• Судья
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #13 : 09 Январь, 2009, 20:30 »
Thak you for correcting me, I meant referees.

Оффлайн Виталий Велент

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #14 : 10 Январь, 2009, 14:01 »
Hello, Alan! I am Vitaly, one of the snooker fans from Minsk. First of all, let me thank you for making yourself available to our forum and exposing us to the important aspects of the game we have come to love. It is a privilege to take tips and pointers from someone of your stature.

I am 32, play snooker for three years (with no previous billiards background) and from what I can figure from your previous posts, I am way beyond the point where any plausible plans of making it to the top can be made. It sounds discouraging but I guess I have to accept it and set the bar lower. I am one of the lucky local players who took a snooker coaching course facilitated by Sergey who you taught to become a pro coach. I must say that you did a terrific job because Sergey is very confident and proficient at coaching. He opened my eyes to many points of the game I had never imagined as being of any value. It also created a few problems: with the realization of how much there is to this seemingly simple game slowly came the understanding that it can only go as far as a hobby to you. Even though I think I practice and play enough for an amateur (from 5 to 20 hours a week) I make little headway. For example, with the black ball on-spot routine I never got any higher than 11 successive pots remembering that your personal record is 167 or something. I did manage to improve my highest peer-match break though, bringing it to 35 which hardly qualifies for an achievement. The problem is I am unable to translate massive theoretical knowledge I have gained from the course and watching video tutorials into everyday practice and competitive match play. I find it frustrating but am plugging along.

I have a couple of practical questions. I am a left-eye sighter, so maybe there are things I need to know and integrate into my play up front to avoid crucial mistakes. For example, Terry Griffiths in his video suggests that players with the right master eye tend to adopt the traditional square-on stance while those who sight with their left eye are better off placing their left foot in front of the right. What do you think? 
The second question is about effective wrist action, the so-called 'snoop shot', as we were told. From observing myself, I have noticed that if the distance between the cue ball and the target ball is short (up to 15''), I seem to do fine. When this distance increases, a critical error occurs sending the cue offline, ruing the cue action and leading to a missing pot. Long pots with the snoop shot are out of the question for me. So my question is do you apply this wrist action for all the shots you play or selectively, to serve some specific purpose, like giving an extra spin for a screw back or the sort. And what would you recommend to do to particularly improve the wrist action?
What do you think about Dave Harold's and the likes' stance where they assume the address position and stand perfectly still with no preliminary feathering before thrusting their cue forward through the cue ball?
Can you also share with me what exactly is happening in your mind before each shot? I know there should be a consistent shot assessment routine, but I fear I miss something.

I guess that's all for me for starters. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks a lot in advance.